"Energy and Persistance Conquer all things!" ~ Benjamin Franklin


Friday, April 23, 2010

Are we there yet?

Have you even gone on a trip with a young child who insists on asking the question, "Are we there yet?" over and over again? Well let me tell you, tonight was our first "real" workout, and although I didn't say it out loud, all I kept thinking was, "Is it over yet?" Now don't get me wrong, I have always been the person who loves to work out. Like I mentioned, my dream is to one day be lean and fit and training others. My problem all these years is I can never seem to balance all that life has tossed me and do take care of me on a consistent basis. So I go hard and heavy when I get that small window of time and then the window and door slams shut and we are back to 24/7 everyone else’s needs and wants take priority over mine. That's why I'm so happy to be a part of this challenge. As Cliff says, I get to say, “I have to do it! It's in the contract, sorry!" and its like the "Get out of Jail Card Free" it just happens! Man that's good.


But we all know our limitations or our areas of weakness. Mine, those dag on squats! That's why my bottom half count anchor a small yacht and my top can snap off with a strong wind. I can do crunches for days and even get in a FEW girly push-ups, but make this gal sit back into a squat of any form and I my insides are screaming, "Are we there yet?" like a little baby. Ok, I did scream at least once during the workout, but come on...and that takes me back to the last post. Can someone please tell me when the heck is Marie going to learn to count? Dog gone it, she's a business owner! I'm sure she'd be able to tell if $1 was missing from the cash register! Can we just get the basic 1-10 down please? I'm sure any one of us would volunteer to help you if you need it, really! We are onto you Marie.

All kidding aside, our first real workout ROCKED! Everyone did so well. Anath, our sleek goddess-like (I'm not kidding, she is really breathtaking) reporter joined us in our boot camp like workout. Breaking a sweat and rosy cheeked herself, at one point I believe I heard her mumble a profanity, or maybe that was me doing those darn SQUATS!

So if the saying no pain no gain is correct, we are well on our way to our outward transformation. Which is one of the main reasons we wanted to do this in the first place. What I really appreciated was how after just our evaluation, Marie has already begun to custom fit our workout. She took time with each of us to make corrections, encourage us, educate us, and yes, PUSH us beyond what we thought we could do. In the end, we were all sweaty and high fiving each other, proud of all we accomplished together. What a team! I love you guys!

I wish you all could have been there to see us...oh that's right our beautiful reporter took pictures. Not before pictures, when our hair and makeup was all in place and people like Oteal had on her dangly beaded green earrings and high gloss berry lipstick, even though through all the torture those babies never came off. Nooooo, that would be too much like heaven. I'm sure every shot she took will be God's way of keeping us humble. Anath, did I mention you are "Goddess-like and breathtaking?" So if the film just happens to get lost we won’t be that mad at you. It happens to the best of us. We understand.

So with that hurdle behind us, we forge forward. No turning back. 100% committed. Everybody now:
"Gazette Healthy Challenge 2010, Prince George's County is here to win!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be there before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace, you are too funny. You're so focused on the exercise during our session but all the while, you're making note of everything going on around you. I would have never guessed you were not a fan of the squats; you did every one of them. OMG, I'm still hurting. I went home and could hardly move from the kitchen table, where I stopped to talk to my husband while he was preparing dinner. Why were my legs so sore just climbing the stairs at home??? Hmmm...Marie may know the answer! A hot tub of Epsom salts was all I wanted, followed by a rub down with alcohol. Tish, tish, tish, now that sounds like old persons remedy. Did I say that? When I took the Wii fitness test it said my age was 67, until now I didn't believe that, but now I'm thinking it may be true. The good news is I can change it. I bit of hard work is required, and I have been blessed to have the tools provided to me through the Gazette Healthy Challenge.

    ReplyDelete